One of the core functions of the Pilanesberg Wildlife Trust is to promote the upliftment of the communities in the related fields of Nature Conservation and Tourism on the periphery of the Pilanesberg National Park. Projects that the PWT takes on are identified by the Community Development Officer of the North West Parks & Tourism Board. The PWT steps in to assist where funds are not available or not sufficient to meet the needs of the projects identified. Many of the communities surrounding Pilanesberg have been defined by poverty, and a lack of opportunity to improve their standard of living.
Community development seeks to empower groups of people and individuals by providing them with the skills and tools they need to effect change in their own communities. Maintaining positive working relationships with community leaders is essential to the future survival and success of our beloved Pilanesberg.
The continued enjoyment and associated custodianship of the Pilanesberg National Park is a matter that the PWT holds dear. This can only be achieved by creating a feeling of ownership and pride of the Park within the local community, including the young children; to bring awareness of the wonders, big and small, that abound within this haven. The PWT, in conjunction with the concessionaires in the Park, participates with local wildlife clubs by taking them into the Park to explore the fascinating world of wildlife that exists literally on their doorstep. Talks and presentations are given to visiting school groups and special interest parties to instil the profound importance of the interdependence of man and the few wild places that still exist today.
Projects of the PWT
The PWT has a number of individual projects which it supports as the need and opportunity arise. These include:
- A PWT Bursary – the PWT offers a bursary for tertiary education in the fields of Nature Conservation, Environmental Sciences etc., for a period of 3 years at a recognised institution.
- Hosting and support of local Conservation Clubs.
- Upliftment and improvement of local schools and orphanages.
- Sponsorship of specialised medical treatments for local community members – this is done on an ad-hoc basis and follows a complex selection procedure.
- Donations of uniforms, blankets, and other necessities to schools and community members.
- During Lock Down 2020, the PWT made a donation of food parcels to the needy and vulnerable members of the Bakgatla Ba Kgafela Community.
- A new project which the PWT has engaged in (began in 2021) is the provision of boreholes and running water in the Bakgatla Ba Kgafela Community. This is an exceptionally exciting project as water is a much needed resource in these communities.
Key focus areas:
- Youth Development
- Sustainable Economic Development
For more information on our various community projects, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
To donate to the various projects the PWT initiates in support of the local communities, please click on the Donate Button below.